Wednesday, July 08, 2009

DWP and ESA - the final straw

This morning a conversation with the DWP and a look at my bank account knocked me back into depression and leaves me even MORE disgusted with the way that the ESA system treats claimants suffering from mental illnesses and breakdowns.

I was expecting the notification in the post that I hadn't got enough points on the medical assessment to be considered not fit to work.

I wasn't expecting a total ZERO score, based on the form I completed and the medical - it's just so nonsensical. Didn't they read what I said and listen? Even on the points where I KNOW I made it clear I had problems, there is still a zero score.

Next, I checked my bank account as my cash card was not giving me anything. I then found out that my benefit had already been stopped without any warning whatever. Good thing I still have some savings to fall back on, but will be a few days before I can organise to get it into my current account.

I called the DWP again. Apparently, they will re-start the benefit and backdate it but ONLY when I return the appeals form. Had they sent it out, as I asked yesterday? No. They say they have now. They have a two to three month queue for hearing benefit appeals, by which time I might just possibly be well enough to think about work again.

It is a very stinky and cruel system that withdraws benefits from vulnarable people, leaving them without any income whatever, and without warning. Had I gone through all this a few months ago, it might well have pushed me back towards the suicidal feelings I was experiencing at that time and could easily do so for someone else.

And then there's the council tax benefits section. Apparently the DWP managed to write to THEM before they wrote to me, so they were on the phone saying that I had to complete yet MORE forms.

At the moment I am drinking tea, later on it might be something stronger. I have a feeling it will be a sleepless night again, or I stay up and compose letters to Yvette Cooper, my MP David Willets, David Cameron and a few more blameworthy others.

5 comments:

Caledonian Jim said...

Whatever gave you the idea that the DWP is there to help you ?

Your only chance is to leave the country, convert to Islam, then come back in again. You'll have your benefits in no time.

ukbix said...

Its not good when the DWP treat people this way, they dont have any safety net for people, its crazy the way the cut the benefits suddenly, and throw people in the deep end.
Feel free to join up at ukbix and post about your experiences btw.
Good luck with your appeal also.

Mandy said...

I'm reading Jenny. Just wanted to let you know. I think the way people are treated in this country s an absolute travesty.

TRACEY said...

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU HAVE GONE TYHROUGH SIMILAR PROBLEMS MYSELF RE DWP, I HAVE BEEN TREATED IN THE MOST DISPICABLE MANNER AND TREATED LIKE A CRIMINAL MY CRIME, TO HAVE SLIPPED DISKS AFTER WORKING IN CARE SECTOR 22 YRS OSTEO ARTHRITIS SPONDOLOUS NOT CONDITIONS YOU WOULD AQUIRE FROM BEING WORK SHY, ALSO DEPRESSION UNDERSTANDABLY SO PERHAPS ,I THINK GIVEN THE PAIN I AM IN, AND INABILITY TO DO ALL THE THINGS I COULD PREVIOUSLY, I AM ANGRY AND BITTER THAT A SUPPOSSED CIVILISED COUNTRY CAN TREAT SICK PEOPLE IN THIS MANNER, AND FAIL TO SEE THATS IT ANY SUPPORT OR HELP WHAT S0 EVER, INFACT THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE, I AM SINGLE PARENT WITH A CHILD TO SUPPORT, SO HARDLY IN MY INTRESTS TO BE IN THE POSITION I FIND MYSELF IN, I HAVE ALREADY HAD MY CONFIDENCE KNOCKED ALREADY FEEL GUILTY FOR BEING ILL , FAIL TO SEE HOW THIS AIDS MY RECOVERY OR FINDING SUSTAINABLE EMPLOYMENT IN THE FUTURE,AS I AM WRITING THIS I AM SHAKING WITH FEAR AND ANGER.

TRACEY said...

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU HAVE GONE TYHROUGH SIMILAR PROBLEMS MYSELF RE DWP, I HAVE BEEN TREATED IN THE MOST DISPICABLE MANNER AND TREATED LIKE A CRIMINAL MY CRIME TO HAVE SLIPPED DISKS AFTER WORKING IN CARE SECTOR 22 YRS OSTEO ARTHRITIS SPONDOLOUSIS NOT CONDITIONS YOU WOULD AQUIRE FROM BEING WORK SHY, ALSO DEPRESSION PERHAPS UNDERSTANDABLY SO I THINK GIVEN THE PAIN I AM IN, AND INABILITY TO DO ALL THEW THINGS I COULD PREVIOUSLY, I AM ANGRY AND BITTER THAT A SUPPOSED CIVILISED COUNTRY CAN TREAT SICK PEOPLE IN THIS MANNER, AND FAIL TO SSE THATS IT ANY SUPPORT OR HELP WHAT S0 EVER, INFACT THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE, I AM SINGLE PARENT WITH A CHILD TO SUPPORT, SO HARDLY IN MY INTRESTS TO BE IN THE POSITION I FIND MYSELF IN, I HAVE ALREADY HAD MY CONFIDENCE KNOCKED ALREADY FEEL GUILTY FOR BEING ILL , FAIL TO SEE HOW THIS AIDS MY RECOVERY OR FINDING SUSTAINABLE EMPLOYMENT IN THE FUTURE,AS I AM WRITING THIS I AM SHAKING WITH FEAR AND ANGER.